ioSafe Case Studies

Medical Clinical Fire

An ioSafe Solo external hard drive protected important patient data during a fire that destroyed Snoqualmie Valley Medical Clinic. The blaze, which was likely started by an electrical problem, happened on October 1st. Although 31 firefighters attended, the $500,000 building could not be saved.

Since 2009, the Clinic has stored important patient data on a fireproof and waterproof ioSafe Solo external hard drive. “Although the data was stored on the ioSafe, I prayed that it would live up to all of its claims. This was exactly the reason we had bought this product: the worst case scenario” said Practice Manager Sheri Moklebust. “Given the fires’ intensity, it seemed inconceivable for any electronic device to have survived, but we asked the fire department to retrieve the unit anyway. When they recovered the unit, it was still extremely hot with steam coming off it.” Sheri added “After we were able to re-enter and inspect the building, I found that the desk that the ioSafe was on was gone and only a few feet from there the extreme heat had melted a porcelain toilet. The ioSafe did its job exactly like it was supposed to.”

Although the data was stored on the ioSafe, I prayed that it would live up to all of its claims. This was exactly the reason we had bought this product: the worst case scenarios

“I thought the unit was toast,” said Robb Mercer of Your Computer Friend, a consulting company that provides IT services to the Clinic. “The casing was badly charred and external connectors had melted. However, when I extracted the drive from the ioSafe casing and connected it to a computer, I discovered that the data was still there.”

Snoqualmie Fire Department Chief Bob Rowe was also surprised that the data was still intact. “The guys did not believe anything would be recoverable on the external hard drive. Given the extensive damage to the building and the area the drive was in, it was obvious that it would have been exposed to extremely high temperatures. To make matters worse, it was covered with debris from the ceiling and has been exposed to the water and foam used during suppression operations. I’m thankful all of the patient information and records were able to be recovered.”

When I extracted the drive from the ioSafe casing and connected it to a computer, I discovered that the data was still there.”

“I’m now an unofficial ioSafe cheerleader,” said Sheri. “You have a great product that I talk about with anyone who asks.”

About Snoqualmie Valley Medical Clinic

Snoqualmie Valley Clinic is a family practice clinic providing medical care to generations of families. They have returned to their original location with a new building and a new ioSafe.

Back to Case Studies

You're in good company with ioSafe