Frequently Asked Questions
How do I test the health of my ioSafe Hard Drive?
Last Updated 2 years ago
Hard Drive Health
Verifying the health of your ioSafe hard drive is a good way to find out if you are experiencing a drive failure or possibly just some file system corruption.
There are a few utilities that can be downloaded to check the S.M.A.R.T status of your drive. This stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Tool. Most hard drives incorporate this to allow users to routinely check the health of their hard drive, especially if you think it may be experiencing some sort of issue. Please follow the instructions on how to install and test the health of your ioSafe hard drive using Crystal Disk Info
- Download and install Crystal Disk Info from here: HDD Guardian
- Make sure the ioSafe device is plugged into the PC and turned on. (it is recommended to disconnect other external devices)
- Run the HDD Guardian program as administrator (right click on the program to choose this option).
- Once HDD Guardian opens, please locate the drive associated with the ioSafe. It will be located in the "External Devices" section. A brief overall health assessment can be viewed on the bottom of the window.
- Once you have linked the ioSafe to it's corresponding drive, click on the Manage tab at the top of HDD Guardian. Once there, in the drive drop down menu, select the ioSafe drive. Click the Device health button to view the overall health status and reliability. (If the drive was not available in the list of drives, please open a support request ticket)
If the data is a sole source of data and can not be re-created, please contact iosafe Technical support by generating a support request ticket here http://iosafe.com/helpdesk/